United Presbyterian Church has a strong history in Freeport. First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1842. Five years later, the Second Presbyterian Church was founded. Each of these churches witnessed to God in their communities for over 150 years.
As our world has changed, so did the Freeport community and so did the ministry of these congregations. Visionaries from both congregations began meeting together and planning joint events and activities between the churches. This eventually (after many, many meetings) led to a decision by both churches in August 2008 to direct the sessions to prepare a plan of union.
On October 25, 2009, both congregations affirmed the Plan of Union and voted to become the United Presbyterian Church, effective January 1, 2010. Our celebration of merger was held January 10, 2010.